Sunday, June 7, 2015

a prayer for the toddler inside of me

... because sometimes my toddler's antics mirror my own a little too closely
Lord, help me not to be whiny today.
Forgive me for my jealousy, ungratefulness, and possessiveness.
Give me eyes to see the things that I already have, for which I can be grateful. 
Teach me to play well with others -
Help me not to hit, bite or kick others, verbally, passive aggressively, or emotionally.
Even if they hit me first.
Teach me to lead by example with gentle wisdom and sometimes loud joyful invitations. 
Help me to play with a wild and reckless abandon, with unabashed delight.
Even if it's not mature or grown-up - and even if others laugh at me.
Let my laughter ring out loudly, often, and with invitation.
Help me not to take myself too seriously, and to laugh freely at the silly things.
Teach me to share what I have, even my favorite toys and prized possessions -
Freely and joyfully, without condition. 
Remind me that not everything is about me today -
Help me to see that I am not the center of the universe.  Again.
Teach me to stop and smell the flowers (every one) - to see the snails, clouds, and rocks.
Renew my childlike wonder. 
Thank you for the rest that you give me - mandate for me - every day.
Help me to take it with welcome delight, rather than kicking and screaming against you. 
Lord, let me take a few minutes in quiet today, even if they are precious few.
Renew my perspective, refresh my energy, and awake me anew.
Forgive me for the ways that I have lost my childlike wonder, delight and joy and instead reclaimed my childlike immaturity, selfishness, and smallness.  Please restore in me the former, while shaping, molding, and disciplining me into maturity in the latter - even as I seek to do the same with my children.

Amen.

KD

No comments:

Post a Comment

All about the Village, People

Sister, brother, let your village love you. A year and a half ago, the unthinkable happened to my family.   What my husband an...